I am always happily suprised when I get a sudden surge of inspiration. As we go through our day to day lives it is easy to fall in to a pattern of doing the same things over and over again not making time for what we love. It hadn’t dawned on me until I was looking at dishes at Anthropolgie on Saturday morning that I couldn’t remember the last time I made a raw, vegan cake, something I love to do. As I stood upstairs in the sale section with a lovely orange plate in my hand a bolt of excitment rushed through my viens and I almost did a happy dance! I immediately knew I was going to make a green cake of some kind to photograph on that darling plate. Who knew that standing in the middle of a store I would be reminded of what makes me happy. Saturday was a reminder to break up my routine and to always remain open to new possibilities because you never know when creativity and inpsiration are going to hit you.
Kiwi and Lime Cheesecake
Raw, Vegan, GLuten Free
Makes one 9-inch cake or two 4-inch cakes
What you need:
For the Crust:
- 1 cup rawalmonds, soaked
- 1 cup dates, sokaed
- pinch pink salt
For the Cheesecake:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked
- 1 1/2 cup dates, soaked
- 2 limes, zest & fruit
- 2 kiwis, peeled
- 1 tbsp vitamineral green – for coloring
lime and kiwis
1. For the crust: drain the almonds and put in a food processor and pulse until a fine almond meal forms. Then add the salt and dates, water drained, to the processor and turn on high and blend until a sticky ball of dough is rolling around in your processor. Either sprinkle coconut on the bottom of the springform pan or put a piece of parchment paper between the bottom and the adjustable support. (this makes removing the cake easier)
2. Push the crust into (and possibly up the sides, if you want) of the springform pan. Place in the freezer
2. For the filling, zest the limes and add this to the processor, then peel the limes, remove the seeds and toss the whole fruit in with the remainder of the ingredients. Process or high until a super creamy, thick consistency is reached. Pour this onto the cust and place back in the freezer for 4-6 hours or overnight.
3. once cakes have frozen, remove from the springform pan and decorate to your liking. let thaw either in the fridge or on the counter, slice and serve. Store in the freezer.