#GIRLBOSS is much more then the title of a New York Times best selling book. I think it signifies a shift in our generation and our aversion to traditional societal systems. Sophia Amoruso has had a unique road to entrepreneurial success that only validates the well-known Albert Einstein quote about intuition and imagination being more important than knowledge. There are over fourty thousand photos under the hashtag “GIRLBOSS” on instagram which tells me that forward thinking Millennials (and Venture Capitalists) all over the globe have been inspired by the story of NastyGal. I know I am. She stands for something that my generation can relate to and she is breaking all the traditional rules along the way. Below are 10 of my favorite badass quotes from #GIRLBOSS.
3. Supporting Your Community- You have the ability to walk around with people who are your neighbors and friends. It is very easy to build a sense of community around the fresh food; there is a reason why the kitchen tends to be the most popular room in the house.
6. Reducing Your Carbon Footprint– Shopping directly from the farmer at a farmers market is a no-frills transaction and cuts down on every aspect of packaging. Also, it is done outside and requires no extra electricity for the transaction to take place. compare that to the average every grocery store which emits 1,900 tons of Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere each year. Thats ridiculous.
7. Unique Varieties of Fruits and Vegetables- Hello, do you see that photo above of MINI WHITE CUCUMBERS…nuff said.
8. Supporting Small Business– Less than 1% of Americans are farmers, which is a dramatic decline over the last 30 years. When you buy directly from your farmer you remove the middle man and allow all the retail profit back in his pocket.
9. You Vote With Your Wallet- why not vote local, organic, sustainable, environmentally friendly, healthy and community based?
Hi world wide web,
My name is Cara Carin!
I believe that we all have the ability to make our own magic and change the world we live in. I believe that kindness doesnt cost a damn thing and we should sprinkle that shit everywhere. Few things are as good as drinking wine with friends, dancing your face off and creating edible art from garden fresh ingredients. I am excited about all the mistakes that I am going to make and proud to say I have learned from making quite a few of them. I’ve Learned that nothing great comes from comfort zones and strawberry and basil together makes the best of everything: cake, salad dressing and cocktails. I refer to my group of friends as the champagne gang and our life sparkles but not all that glitters is gold. Stay true blue and remember to eat your vegetables.
Cheers to the good life.
1. Sleeping with him is not the way to make him like you or love you. period.2. Its ok to want to stay in on a Friday night. Hell, it is ok to also stay in on Saturday night. FOMO does not apply to parties, unless they take place on a yacht in the Mediterranean.
3. Money looks better in the bank then hanging in your closet.
4. Everyone is insecure, it’s not just you.
5. Gossip magazines are absolute trash and kill as many brain cells as vodka.
6. You are more beautiful and skinny then you will ever be ever again so stop worrying about your lack of thigh gap.
7. You do not have to be everyone’s friend. It is absolutely ok to unfriend or unfollow people on Social Media who don’t bring positivity into your life.
8. It’s important to network with people in your industry.
9. Do not let fear of rejection stop you from saying hello. You might never be in the same room as Susie Bubble or Grace Coddington ever again.
10. Be nice to everyone, you never know who you are talking to.
11. If you are honest you are never wrong.
12. Wanting to wear makeup and to look good is not shallow. You can be sexy and smart.
13. You do not get what you do not ask for. Whether it is the raise from your boss, a sign from the universe or more sex from your partner, do not be afraid to ask for what you really want.
14. It is a disservice to yourself and to the universe to want to be anything but who you are.
15. Little by little eventually becomes a lot. This applies to cookies, alcohol and exercise.
16. Focusing on what you have will make it seem like you have a lot more.
17. Trusting your gut and your instincts will get you much further in life then listening to everyone else. Opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got one so why not trust your own.
18. Do not be afraid to work really hard for what you want even though you might fail.
19. Be upfront with people, it will save you a hell of a lot of time and headaches.
20. Stop wasting more time doubting yourself, confidence is the most powerful tool in your box.
21. Silence is the best response to a fool. If someone says something that is upsetting and ridiculous you only validate it and feed it more energy by responding. Do not text that bitch back.
22. Few things feel as good as not giving two fucks about what other people think.
23. Be curious about everything and realize that there is so much more that you don’t know that you don’t know.
24. Whoever decided you could not wear brown with black, stripes with polka dots or white after Labor Day is an idiot.
25. Be open to feedback. If someone is taking the time to tell you where they think you might need some work, chances are they truly care about your growth.
26. Travel. It is so important to see the world and the way others live. It will provide you with as much perspective as failure.
What are some of the most valuable lessons you have learned along the way? I would love to know.